Thursday, March 28, 2013

Could You Not Pray?

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. Simon, he said to Peter, are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour?  Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.  Mark 14:37-38

Have you ever imagined that Peter and the other disciples were just awful people to be asleep when Jesus most needed them to be in prayer with Him and for Him?  Have you thought that if you had been there, never ever would you have fallen asleep?  Have you ever wondered how one could fall asleep on the hard ground ... outside in the cold ...  almost immediately after having eaten the Passover meal with Jesus? 

Have you ever fallen asleep while on your knees in prayer? Have you awakened, felt a call to pray, started to do so, and then it was time to get up, hours later? Did you pray?  For how long?  Could you even remember?  Have you wanted to pray but couldn't get your mind focused? Have you been in prayer and stopped to answer the phone ... read a text ... check your e-mail ... respond to someone else ... or some other distraction?  Did you ask God to wait for a few minutes, or did you just abruptly leave Him?

I can only thank God for His grace, and mercy, and loving kindness.  Even when I don't do what I want to do, when my flesh overrules my spirit, when my best desire fails, Jesus graciously acknowledges "the spirit is willing, but the body is weak."  He gently encourages me to "watch and pray."  I can only say, Yes Lord, I will watch and pray. Starting right now, I will watch and pray more diligently, more faithfully, more consistently, more often.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment