Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Golden Rule

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you,
 for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."  Matthew 7:12

Some things in Scripture many of us know.  The Golden Rule is one of those things.  Have you ever wondered why it is called the Golden Rule? Something for you to think about.  For me, it is the first and last phrases that I have basically ignored.  What about you?  The first phrase -- "so in everything" -- has now gotten my attention, and I realize it is instructive. Some other Bible translations use "in everything," "therefore all things," "whatever," or "always."  The Message Bible presents the passage in this manner.   “Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God’s Law and Prophets and this is what you get."

To understand what I want others to do to and for me, sometimes I think about what I don't want them to do.  This further clarifies for me what I must not do to them. Here are some of my don'ts which help me know and understand more clearly my do's: don’t be unkind ... talk about me behind my back ... mistreat me ... show disrespect ... cut me off in traffic ... lie to me ... murder or kill ... fight with me ... follow through ... say "I'm sorry" ... hurt me ... laugh at me ... ridicule me ... be rude ... be unkind ... be unthoughtful ... steal from me ... walk over me ... quarrel ... disobey ... be unapologetic ... unloving ... show disregard ... ignore me ... shame or embarrass me ... hurt me ... cheat on me ... knock me down ... keep a promise ... follow instructions ... be untrustworthy ... and more. 

What's on your list?  Paul writes to the Galatians that we'll reap whatever we sow?  Consider the set of questions: what am I sowing, or what and why am I reaping this?  We must understand the boomerang effect of this and the Golden Rule.  What we get is what we have given?  Now consider this set of questions: what am I giving, or what and why am I receiving this?    Will I make the choice to, in everything, be not merely a hearer but a doer of God's Word?   Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment