Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pray Always

When it comes to prayer, we have so many questions? How often should I pray? When should I pray?  What should I pray?  Where should I pray?  In what position should I pray? What is prayer?  Will God answer my prayers?  Is there a right kind of prayer? And conversely, is there a wrong kind of prayer?  Why is prayer so hard?  Why is it so difficult for me to pray?

 Are any of these your questions?  Let's ask God the questions and see what He says.  In 1 Thessalonians 5:17, He says two or three words: "pray without ceasing" or "pray continually." Is God serious?  Yes. Does He really mean that? I think so.  A part of prayer is talking to God, so just maybe prayer is having a conversation with God. And that conversation takes place wherever I am.  Could it be that sometimes I'm praying 'unawares'?  So maybe I'd better pay more careful attention to the words that I'm speaking since I don't have to announce to God that I'm praying. He's ever hearing.  We could learn a lesson from Peter when He was walking on the water and began to sink.  In deep trouble and scared to no end, Peter's prayer was simply "Lord save me."

Another part of prayer is hearing from God. That requires getting still, stopping all activity, and listening.  There is a time when we really have to stop talking so that God can talk.  Don't know about you, but for me, that's challenging.  Again, have you ever wanted to hear from God but never stopped to listen to Him?

Philippians 4:6 is instructive where the point is made to pray in everything, every circumstance, every situation.  In Isaiah 45:11, God advises that we command Him concerning the work of His hands. So we ask God for our wants, desires, needs ... yes; and we command or tell God our wants, desires, needs ... yes.  So, pray always, pray about everything, pray all kinds of prayers. Talk to God ... listen to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment