Thursday, July 10, 2014

How Big Is Your God? part 7

My pastor, Bishop Jim Lowe at The Guiding Light Church, has been encouraging us to step outside of ourselves, and to pull on God. He's asking us to know that we know that we know that God is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we could ever ask or imagine (see Ephesians 3:20). These messages are reminders to me to consider how big God is to me. Is God really able to do immeasurably more than I could ask or imagine? Can I really believe this? Can I truly expect more from God? Can I create new norms for me?
Consider Moses who God had climb Mt. Nebo when he was 120 years old. The amazing thing is that Moses climbed the mountain. Can you believe that? Do you know a 65 ... or 70 ... or 80 ... or 90 year old person? Would you ask, could you expect them to climb not even a mountain but a hill? However, Moses climbed the mountain, God showed him the promised land. Because his eyes were neither weak nor dim, he was able to see clearly the land that God had promised. He would not cross over into it, but he was able to see it.

What to me seems so unfair of God is that Moses climbed the mountain, saw the promised land, and then died. Why did he, at age 120, have to climb the mountain only to die? Wasn't that a bit much of God to require such a strenuous effort? Why couldn't Moses have just fallen asleep at the foot of the mountain? In Deuteronomy 34:7, we are also told that Moses' strength was not gone.

Moses' strength equaled his days. If God is no respecter of persons, can he do for you and me what he did for Moses? Can we not expect that our strength will = our days? Is your God big enough that you can expect and declare that your strength = your days? Is your God big enough that you will prophesy to others -- may your strength = your days? Is your God big enough that this becomes your new norm? May your strength = your days.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment