Tuesday, December 8, 2015

What Can I Give Him

 
"What can I give Him poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I'd give Him a lamb. 
If I were a wise man, I'd do my part.
But what can I give Him? I'll give Him my heart."
How can I give Him my heart, you may be thinking? I'm glad you asked. If you have first accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then give Him your heart in worship. Next question may be -- so what is worship? Worship is adoration, bowing before God in reverence, showing respect and honor, worshipping in spirit and in truth. Much can be learned about worship through the Christmas story (see Luke 1). During her visit with the older woman Elizabeth who was pregnant with John, the virgin Mary bowed and worshiped in song as she carried the Holy Child. Due to his unbelief, the older priest Zechariah who was married to Elizabeth was unable to speak until after their child, John, was born. At that time, he too worshiped through a song of prophecy. 

Jewish rabbis of old have said that "study of the Word is the highest form of worship." Old Testament Scripture reminds us to honor the Lord with our wealth, with our firstfruits. The wise (scholarly) men, who knew the prophecies and studied astronomy, traveled a great distance to worship the baby Jesus and give Him their best gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. 

Beginning with this season of celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, will you give Him your heart through increased worship -- adoration, reverence, honor, giving, study of the Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment