Monday, September 24, 2012

The Road Less Traveled -- part 1

At a point in my life when I was struggling with several issues of life and seeking God for direction, God spoke. The still small voice gave me the direction that I had been earnestly seeking. The direction was given over several weeks in three parts, one part at a time. First part, "quit your job." Knew it was God, did it. Second part, "start a business." Knew it was God, did it. Third part in response to my question, what kind of business, was "do what you've been doing." Understood clearly. Started this new journey eagerly, excitedly,

Was it easy? No. Were there stumbling blocks? Yes, many! Was it difficult? Yes, at times. Did I lose my focus? Sometimes, I'd get off track, realize it, and then get back on track. Did I seek help from others? Of course. How helpful were others? On a scale of 1-10, there were those at every point along the scale.

I often thought about Abram's (Abraham's) disobedience to God's direction for his life to leave his country, leave his family, leave his father's household, and go to an unknown land (see Genesis 12:1). At times, I mistakenly and smugly thought that I was not as disobedient to God as Abraham had been. How wrong was my stinking thinking. One lesson I learned from Abraham was that God's way is, more often than not, the road less traveled.

How have you responded to God's direction and instruction for your life? Have you been willing to take the road less traveled?

No comments:

Post a Comment