Tuesday, February 26, 2013

How to Receive God's Best Blessings, part 2

When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles 7:13-14

In this passage, God gives first four conditions to receiving His amazing three fold blessing.  Condition number two is pray.  Pray!  Prayer -- consider the who, what, why, when, where, and how of prayer.  We sometimes need to stop and consider one or more of these questions.  It is so easy to get stuck in a rut, to pray at the same time, in the same manner, using the same words.  Would we want God to respond to us with this same degree of sameness? Probably not. 

I'm learning to be in continual prayer.  Paul reminded the Thessalonian church to pray without ceasing, to be in continual prayer (see 1 Thessalonians 5:17). Much speaking is not required.  When the work of restoring the walls of Jerusalem was threatened and the people were fearful, Nehemiah simply said "O God, strengthen my hands" (see Nehemiah 6:9).  I'm learning that brevity works too, i.e., -- thank you ... help ... yes, Lord ... show me ... lead me ... send me ... I'll go ... use me ... forgive them ... forgive me ... I'm sorry ... amen ... Jesus ... etc.  I'm learning the power of agreement with another or others, as well as agreement with the Word because it is His Word that does not return void or empty (see Isaiah 55:11). I'm learning the boomerang effect in praying for others, that what I offer up or declare on behalf of another returns to me (see Galatians 6:7). I'm learning the necessity of praying the Word, of putting God in remembrance of what His Word says.

Prayer is amazing. What are you learning in prayer?  Through prayer?  By prayer?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment