Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How Great Thou Art, part 2

When does life begin? Is it before the sperm and egg come together? Is it at conception?  Is it hours after conception, or days, or weeks, or some time during the first trimester? So what did God mean when He said to Jeremiah that He knew him before He formed him in the womb (see Jeremiah 1:5)? To what was the writer referring in Psalm 139:15-16a?  "My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body."  

So, when does life begin? The questions came to mind again as I recently stood before an incubator in a hospital's neonatal intensive care unit.  The little girl was taken from her mother's womb at a mere 25 weeks (6 months).  This was my first time to see a preemie at this young age.  My naked eye saw very clearly a baby ... just very tiny, weighed in at just over one pound ... hair on her head ... fully formed arms, hands, fingers w/nails ... fully formed legs, feet, toes w/nails ... very active arms and hands, legs and feet ... used hands to take hold of connectors to her body ... stretched out her legs, sometimes moved them from side to side, sometimes up and down.

Not knowing what to expect, I stood there in awe and amazement. And I could only think, my God, how great Thou art.  How amazing are you, God.  How could anyone ever believe that man is a product of evolution? The process of birth, how miraculous?  Our minds are incapable of understanding how this development unfolds.  So we merely just take this development for granted.  We assume that life just happens. And it doesn't, it can't.  Who then is this Master Creator? Master Designer? Life Giver? Sustainer of Life? And my thought remained the same, O Lord my God, how great Thou art!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment