Tuesday, August 6, 2013

How Great Thou Art

As part of my family's 40th year reunion in Phoenix, we traveled to the Grand Canyon, one of the seven wonders of the world.  On this my first visit, I stood and looked in awe at the handiwork of Almighty God.  The formations, the colors, the depth, I viewed all with my mouth open, bottom lip hanging, saying "Wow," and thinking how great is our God.  I can only imagine its immense size -- 277 river miles long, up to 18 miles wide, and a mile deep.  I could literally feel the words of the songwriter . . . O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made, I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed. Then sings my soul, my Savior God to Thee, how great Thou art!

What a Mighty God we serve.  My thoughts wandered as I considered the Creator of this universe, His sovereignty, His awesomeness, His might and power, His majesty, His glory and honor.  I thought, who is man, what is man that Almighty God is mindful of him?  Of me? Of us? 

On the return trip as I was jolted back into the present, my thoughts turned to the foolishness of man.  Who do we think we are?  How little do we actually know or understand? Yet, how much do we think we know?  How much in control do we think ourselves to be?  What power do we imagine ourselves to have?  We lie, steal, and cheat.  We take into our own hands the lives of others.  We ignore Almighty God, our Creator. 

Forgive me Father for my thoughtlessness.  You are great, and greatly to be praised. How great Thou art!

No comments:

Post a Comment