Thursday, December 20, 2012

Who Is Jesus? part 2


Who is Jesus?  Who is Jesus to you?  As the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut unfolded and my eyes and ears were attuned to every word and every minute detail, my thoughts ranged from "oh my God" to "Jesus help;" from "I don't believe it" to "how sick, how inhumane, how ungodly."  The next print edition of The Birmingham News devoted a full page to detailing acts of gun violence locally.  So much ... too much ... can't bear to read it all ... difficult to imagine ... hard to comprehend.  Jesus, where were you when these situations occurred? Where are you now?

In my time of seeking, I read John 1:1-14.  And I realized that Jesus is the light of the world.  Though it may appear that darkness is all around, that my world is full of darkness, that too many people seem to be filled with darkness, I needed to remember that light dispels darkness, regardless of how small the light. Jesus declared that He is the light of the world (see John 8:12).  He didn't stop there, He also declared that I am and you are the light of the world (see Matthew 5:14). Is my light shining?  How brightly?  Is your light shining?  How brightly?  In this world of darkness, we must let the light of Christ Jesus shine through us even more brightly.  Will you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment